For the discussion by a select few of Life, the Universe, and Everything

I need a title!

Saradkad

I need a title!

Post  Saradkad on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:16 am

I said I would have this out last night, but I got sleepy. Sorry!
    Anyway, I have written a story that needs a title. Please read it and give me responses!

?
    By Jacob Narotzky

Albin sheathed his sword and drew his book. After trying to light a fire by striking a stone against the sword, he had decided that next time, he wouldn’t lose his flint. Flipping to the back of the book, Albin reviewed the magic charms listed there.
    “Let Your Fire, Strong and Blue, Burn as Bright, as Stars Do!”
    A nearby creek momentarily burst into flames, and Albin sighed. Magic was a difficult art, for few could properly control it. If you couldn’t, you were as likely to end up with boiling mud as anything else.
    Or a flaming creek, for that matter.
    Albin sighed again, and proceeded to light a shoe, two trees, some mud (which promptly boiled), and a very surprised frog on fire before lighting the actual kindling.

After eating a hodge-podge stew (Consisting of dried vegetables, local roots and berries, fresh rabbit and unsigned creek water, all cooked in a turtle shell.), Albin decided to play some music on his soprano dulcimer, that had once been his fathers. Albin smiled with content as he remembered when they would be here with him, laughing and eating and petting stray foxes that came to close to the fire.
    At least they had left him memories, and a few odd possessions.
    About to tune the dulcimer, Albin stopped when he heard a stray note struck in the distance. Listening closely, he confirmed that someone was playing another stringed instrument – likely a lute, by the sound of it – in the distance.
    Possessed by a sudden urge to join some small part of human society, Albin held himself back. Why did it matter? It was likely a traveling minstrel between towns, or some loner like himself. Who could say if they would even like him? Perhaps the stranger would just shove him away from the fire.
    In a sudden burst of surety, Albin stood and stomped out the hard-won fire.

On the way to the stranger, Albin was unsure of himself again. Who would he find? He felt as though a great build-up to finding the stranger was occurring, as though his decision was of great consequence. But why? It had been a simple one.
    H e arrived at the fire. A young red-haired woman playing a lute, dressed in brown and black with a leather head-band, looked up at him.
    “May I – join you?” Albin asked, hesitantly.
    “Of course.” She replied. “Though I’m afraid I have no food to spare.”
    He felt rejuvenated at the sight of her green eyes and slight smile. “It’s okay.” Albin said, sitting down. “I’ve already eaten.” He decided to take the next, logical step. “I’m Albin.”
    “I’m Kasrie.” She responded.
    Albin suddenly noticed the long, glowing staff lying next to her. “Are you a Magess?” He asked in astonishment.
    “No.” Kasrie laughed. “Though I received this from one. It helps to channel some basic Magic charms.” She picked up the staff. “Watch.”
    Albin turned towards her, as she picked up the staff.
    Kasrie pointed the staff at a nearby squirrel, watching from a tree. “Beast of Earth, I Give you Wings, of Golden Eagles, and Flying Things.”
    The squirrel suddenly jumped, literally of its branch, as two eagle wings, small as robins, grew from his back. He squeaked, and ran in small circles before taking off.
    ` Kasrie and Albin both laughed in amusement at the creatures antics. Albin congratulated her on the spell work.
    “It was a minor spell – it wears off in a few hours.” She explained, humbly.
    Albin still felt awed. He couldn’t even cast a fire spell! Properly, anyway.
    Looking up at the little thing, trying to climb up an oak tree to get some nuts, Albin said, almost to himself, “I wish I had wings.”
    Kasrie looked at him. “It’s possible – I think we’d just have to modify the spell a little – to make it more powerful.”
    Albin thought back to all the times he had wished to fly, like the birds, soaring over gusts of wind instead of being tossed on the ground by them. “You could do that?”
    “Gladly.” Kasrie said with another smile.
    “Thank you – so much! How could I ever repay you?” Albin asked sincerely.
    “There is one small favor…”
    “Yes?”
    “Play a duet with me?” Kasrie asked, humor glinting in her eyes.
    Albin laughed, and the two played duets long into the night.

Five years later, the two set up camp together. They had become two loners, wandering the forest, but wandering together. Yet now they were wandering with one other, as well.
    Kasrie handled their new baby boy, Robin, while Albin made a hodge-podge stew in a turtle shell. He could see a day, in the future, when all three of them would be laughing and eating and petting stray foxes that came to close to the fire.
    Perhaps, someday, little Robin would inherit his grandfathers soprano dulcimer.
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Re: I need a title!

Post  Dracotorix on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Comment 1: Print this out for me and I'll edit it for grammar and stuff.
    Comment 2: Albin is a cool name.
    Comment 3: Now I'm going to answer your actual question.
    Titles (probably dumb ones, but still):
    The Chance
    The Gamble
    Gaining Wings
    Out of the Nest (???)
    Ignition (this would be a great one if there was no such thing as a car)
    Joint Isolation
    Light My Fire (oh wait, that's a song)
    Catching Fire (oh wait, that's the sequel to Hunger Games)
    DARN IT I CAN'T COME UP WITH A GOOD TITLE!!!!
    Solitary Combustion (okay, that's just weird)
    Inflammation (stupid words with two meanings!!)
    DARN IT I CAN'T COME UP WITH A GOOD TITLE!!!!.... The Sequel
    Flame of the Future
    A Merging of Roads
    A Meeting of Hermits (crabs)

Okay, so I don't know about a title. But the sequel can be "In Which Robin Accidentally Sets His Daycare On Fire During Naptime And Then Gives The Fire Wings"!
    Saradkad

Post  Saradkad on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Comment one: You gaveme the name Albin in a promt: Albin sheated his sword and drew his book.

Comment two: No sequal.

Comment three: No offense, but most of these titles are pathetic.

Comment four: How about "The Merging of Hermits?" Doesn't quite work - a word other than hermits, perhaps....
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Post  Dracotorix on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Really? I didn't even remember that!

Aw, no sequel?

I know! That's what I said!

No.
    Saradkad

Post  Saradkad on Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:42 pm

I agree with the "No," ... I just need more ideas (Hint, hint, other 5 42'ers.)
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Post  Dracotorix on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 am

How about-- (are you ready for this?) *drumroll*..... "Death"!
    Saradkad

Post  Saradkad on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm

A (good) title, please....
    Dracotorix
    Admin

Post  Dracotorix on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:37 pm

I could title it for you, but you'd have to pay me.
    Saradkad

Post  Saradkad on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm

I'll pay you in "Truth." Now hand over a title!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:06 pm